Appeal your Council Tax band or bill
Appeal your property band
The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) are responsible for the valuation of properties. If you think your Council Tax band is wrong, contact the VOA.
If your home is already in band A, the VOA will not reduce the band further.
You can make a challenge within six months of:
- becoming a new council taxpayer
- the VOA notifying you that your banding has changed
- your property being demolished
- substantial changes happening in your local area that have affected your properties value.
You still must pay Council Tax if you make a challenge. If your challenge is successful, then you will get a refund.
Appeal your Council Tax bill
If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong, tell us immediately. For example, if:
- you have claimed a discount or exemption which was refused
- you think your bill has been calculated incorrectly
- you think you’re not responsible for paying tax because you are not an owner or occupier of the billed property.
Email email@example.com to appeal your bill. The decision will be looked at again and if not changed, you have the right to appeal the decision with the Valuation Tribunal Service.