Anyone wishing to demolish or partially demolish a building must notify us. We can then ensure that demolition works are carried out safely.
Most buildings cannot be demolished without a Demolition Notice. This is a legal process under the Building Act and should be submitted six weeks before starting work. When we receive a demolition notice we will send back a list detailing safety conditions that should be followed. This includes:
- the weathering and shoring of adjacent buildings
- a ban on the burning of any materials on site
- minimise the effect on adjoining properties
- ensure site is safe and secure.
As part of the demolition notice, you must also notify adjoining owners and statutory bodies including:
- Southern Gas Network
- Southern and Scottish Power Energy Distribution
- Open Reach (formerly BT).
This service is free of charge.
Apply for a demolition notice and email to email@example.com.
You may also need planning permission for your proposed
work, especially if the building is listed or within a conservation area. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the information on this page links back to our council website (iow.gov.uk)