Flood risk and investigation
We are responsible for flood risk management and have developed a local flood risk management strategy. The strategy provides information about potential flood hazards including:
- surface water
The aim is to understand, communicate and manage the risk of flooding and the impacts they have.
On becoming aware of a flood we must, to the extent that we consider necessary or appropriate, investigate:
- which risk management authorities have relevant flood management functions
- whether each of those risk management authorities has exercised, or is proposing to exercise those functions in response to the flood.
We will investigate if:
- there is doubt surrounding the source or responsibility of a flood incident
- internal flooding of one property has been experienced on more than one occasion
- internal flooding of a group of properties has been experienced during a single flood incident
- flooding resulted in disruption of one or more items of critical infrastructure
- a single flood incident resulted in flooding that affects vulnerable individuals
- there is risk to life as a result of flooding.
We will follow our flood investigation protocol. Investigations are currently being undertaken for the following areas:
The outcome of all flood investigations is published in the Ryde surface water management plan.
Some of the information on this page links back to our council website (iow.gov.uk)