BETA This is our new website. We would appreciate your feedback on it.

Holiday Lets and B&B collections

Holiday Lets and Self-Catering accommodation

By law, holiday lets and self-catering accommodation need to pay for a commercial waste collection service. As the property owner, you have a duty of care to ensure waste is correctly stored and legally disposed of at your property.

Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990), all businesses (including those operating from home), must contain and dispose of any waste they produce. The Controlled Waste Regulations (2012) state that holidays lets are classed as commercial waste producers meaning they must pay for waste collections and disposal. This definition applies regardless of whether the premises are liable for business rates or Council Tax.

If you are operating a property as a Holiday Let or Bed and Breakfast, complete the online form. It will show you what commercial waste collection services are available to you.

All commercial waste produced is subject to duty of care this includes:

Making sure waste is stored securely

As per Section 34 of The Environmental Protection Act Waste should be safety secured in such a way to ensure that it is does not cause litter or attract vermin, ideally in waste receptacles.

You can still split your commercial waste into recyclables, non-recyclables and food waste. Duty of Care states you must take all reasonable steps to do so.

Waste Transfer Notices are completed and stored for two years.

Waste transfer notes are documents that will be supplied to you by your registered waste carrier to prove evidence that your properties commercial waste is being legally disposed of. The waste transfer notes must be signed by both parties for it to be valid.

The Environment Agency and the Isle of Wight Council are authorised to check if you are complying with the Duty of Care. This means an officer can come to your premises or write to you and ask to see your waste transfer notes. Failure to provide the documentation could result in enforcement action being taken.

Household subscription service

We offer a household subscription service to properties that are operating as self-catering accommodation for 139 days or less or bed and breakfasts that are using under 50% of the property for guest accommodation.

This includes use of:

  • 1x 240L green recycling bin
  • 1x140L black residual waste bin
  • 1x food caddy.

or reusable sacks of the same capacity.

Collections will alternate between recycling and residual weekly. Dates and further details can be found by using our Waste Collection Day application .

Annual subscriptions can be purchased online by completing our Bed and Breakfast and Self-Catering Accommodation Commercial Waste Enquiry Form.

The annual subscription will run from April 1 to March 31 of the following year and is £260 per year.

If you are unable to apply online, call our contact centre on 01983 823777.

Make an online application for a commercial waste quotation.

Should I be paying business rates

Legislation on GOV.UK covering business rates for self-catering and holiday let accommodation says that if a property is available to let for 140 days or more a year, it should be rated as a self-catering property and valued for business rates.

Contact Revenue services about the type of rates you should be paying by using the online send a message.

Some of the information on this page links back to our council website (

Contact information

Waste and Environment

Waste Management Team
County Hall
High Street
Isle of Wight
PO30 1UD

Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm